John F. Kennedy | Pope John Paul II | Elton John | John | John Lennon | John Wayne | John McCain | John Kerry | John Cage | Olivia Newton-John | John Williams | John Peel | John Adams | John Steinbeck | John Travolta | John Milton | John Zorn | John Marshall | John Howard | John Singer Sargent | John Ruskin | John Updike | John Maynard Keynes | John Coltrane | John Cleese | St. John's | John Waters | John Lee Hooker | John Huston | John Ford |
In 1855, Chicago mayor "Long" John Wentworth built the Brighton Park horse racetrack (whose name conveniently alluded to the more famous Brighton Racecourse in England) directly east of the village, in what is now the Chicago Park District's McKinley Park.
First granted by Lieutenant Governor John Wentworth in 1727, the town was named for William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury.
Due to the inability of its original grantees to settle the remote area, however, it was regranted in 1770 by Colonial Governor John Wentworth, who renamed it Colebrook Town after Sir George Colebrooke, the East India Company's chairman of the board.
Within the sects of the Latter Day Saint movement, the Articles of Faith are a list composed by Joseph Smith as part of an 1842 letter sent to "Long" John Wentworth, editor of the Chicago Democrat.
In 1771, Governor John Wentworth incorporated the town, naming it after Strongman's birthplace: Dublin, Ireland.
Several years later, in 1861, Scammon sued the Democratic Chicago Democrat for libel after publisher John Wentworth published a cartoon which depicted Scammon as a wildcat banker.
Some rumors are that one of its original owners was a distributor of stamps, another rumor was that Governor John Wentworth played a major part in the repeal of the Stamp Act, and finally some people have said that Stamp Act documents or stamps were hidden there.
It was named after William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Strafford in the mistaken belief that he was the ancestor of governor John Wentworth.
Strafford County had been organized in 1773 during the administration of Colonial Governor John Wentworth, and named in honor of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford.
From that time, the land has been owned by Thomas Bamburgh (of Howsham); Sir John Wentworth and his descendents to 1741; thence to the Cholmely family and to Sir George Strickland.
Other notable New England names were John Wentworth, Samuel Quincy, Moses Hemmenway, Charles Cushing, Nathan Webb, William Browne, Philip Livingston, David Sewall, Daniel Treadwell, Tristam Dalton.12
In taking as her second husband Roger Wentworth, a younger son of John Wentworth of North Elmsall, Yorkshire, Sir Philip's mother, Margery, Lady Roos, who was the daughter and heiress of Philip le Despencer, 2nd Baron le Despencer, was said to have 'married herself dishonourably without licence from the King'.
For two years she was in his custody, and probably resided at Ingatestone Hall; then she was removed to Sir John Wentworth's (a kinsman of Petre's first wife) at Gosfield Hall, and after seventeen months' confinement there was taken to Cockfield Hall at Yoxford in Suffolk.