X-Nico

unusual facts about Riverside Park, Dawson Springs



Cy A. Adler

In early December, 1982, Adler placed an ad in the Voice announcing a public walk along the Hudson River from Battery Park to Riverside Park, which at the time consisted largely of docking facilities abandoned due to Containerization.

Elitch Gardens Theme Park

Throughout this short era, the park had the "The Great Escape" surname under its official name like most of its sister parks at the time (Darien Lake, Riverside Park, and The Great Escape)

Henry Hudson Parkway

The covered portion is partially used for the highway and also expands the Riverside Park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.

Riverside Park, Dawson Springs

Hall of Famer Honus Wagner, who trained on this field for 3 years, organized a team of local young boys known as "Honus Wagners' Young Recruits." Babe Ruth, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, Casey Stengel, and Ty Cobb also played baseball in Dawson Springs.

Riverside Park was built in 1914 and served as the Spring Training Home of the Pirates from 1914 until 1917, when moved on to Hot Springs, Arkansas.


see also