X-Nico

3 unusual facts about St. Werburgh


St. Werburgh's Church, Dublin

Primate James Ussher was appointed to this church in 1607, and Edward Wetenhall, afterwards Bishop of Kilmore, author of the well-known Greek and Latin Grammars, was curate here.

Werburgh's Church is a Church of Ireland church in Dublin, Ireland, and was built in 1178, shortly after the arrival of the Anglo-Normans in the town, and named after St. Werburgh, abbess of Ely and patron saint of Chester who died in 699 AD.

By 1559 the nearby church of St. Mary del Dam on Dame Street was closed and its parish incorporated in that of St. Werburgh’s, which meant that St. Werburgh’s became the parish church of Dublin Castle.


Downpatrick

In 1183, John de Courcy brought in some Benedictines from the abbey of St. Werburgh in Chester (today Chester Cathedral) in England and built a cathedral friary for them at Downpatrick.

Gresford

At this time the bishopric was transferred from that of St. Werburgh's Chester to St. Asaph, and the vicars of the village were Welsh with patronymic names (for example, Morud ap Gwarius, who became vicar in 1284).


see also

Abbey Gateway

Abbey Gateway, Chester, the former gateway of St Werburgh's Abbey in Chester, England

Hoo St Werburgh

The first church of Hoo St Werburgh may have been built in the reign of the 8th century King Æthelbald of Mercia, though presumably a monastery existed nearby at an earlier time.

St Werburgh's Church, Bristol

St Werburgh's Church, Bristol, is a former church, now a climbing centre in the St Werburghs area of central north-east Bristol, England.