X-Nico

unusual facts about Stobcross Railway


Whiteinch Railway

The railway opened in 1874 along with Stobcross Railway and was built to service a shipyard & sawmill at Whiteinch.


Anniesland railway station

Opened by the North British Railway in 1874 on their route linking the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway at Maryhill to Queens Dock (the site that is now occupied by the Scottish Exhibition Centre) on the north side of the River Clyde (the Stobcross Railway), it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923.

Finnieston Crane

Connected to a spur of the Stobcross Railway, the crane's primary purpose was the lifting of heavy machinery – mainly Springburn's then renowned steam locomotives – onto ships for export.


see also