The Cluniac order was a branch of the Benedictines and fell under the rule of the great abbey at Cluny in Burgundy; the Benedictine order was a keystone to the stability that European society achieved in the 11th century, and partly owing to the stricter adherence to a reformed Benedictine rule, Cluny became the acknowledged leader of western monasticism from the later 10th century.
Modern excavations of the Abbey began in 1927 under the direction of Kenneth John Conant, American architectural historian of Harvard University, and continued (although not continuously) until 1950.
•
"O God, by whose grace thy servants, the Holy Abbots of Cluny, enkindled with the fire of thy love, became burning and shining lights in thy Church: Grant that we also may be aflame with the spirit of love and discipline, and may ever walk before thee as children of light; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, liveth and reigneth, one God, now and for ever."
•
In 1928, the site was excavated and recognized by the American archaeologist Kenneth J. Conant with the backing of the Medieval Academy of America.
•
Artifacts exemplifying the wealth of Cluny Abbey are today on display at the Musée de Cluny in Paris.
•
Under the strain, some English houses, such as Lenton Priory, Nottingham, were naturalized (Lenton in 1392) and no longer regarded as alien priories, weakening the Cluniac structure.
•
An orderly succession of able and educated abbots, drawn from the highest aristocratic circles, led Cluny, and three were canonized: Saints Odo of Cluny, the second abbot (died 942); Hugh of Cluny, the sixth abbot (died 1109); and Odilo, the fifth abbot (died 1049).
In 1073 Hermann separated from his wife, took monastic vows, and became a lay brother in Cluny Abbey, where he died.
A Cluniac monastery, the priory was home to mostly French monks until the late 14th-century when it was freed from the control of its French mother-house, Cluny Abbey.
Westminster Abbey | Cluny | abbey | Abbey Road Studios | Abbey Theatre | Abbey | Abbey Road | Cluny Abbey | Woburn Abbey | Portsmouth Abbey School | Bec Abbey | Fleury Abbey | Downton Abbey | Bisham Abbey | Rievaulx Abbey | Clairvaux Abbey | Bath Abbey | St Augustine's Abbey | Ramsey Abbey | Welbeck Abbey | Stoneleigh Abbey | Newstead Abbey | Melrose Abbey | Kelso Abbey | Hailes Abbey | Glastonbury Abbey | Buckland Abbey | Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés | Abbey Lincoln | Whitby Abbey |
Adelaide had long entertained close relations with Cluny, then the center of the movement for ecclesiastical reform, and in particular with its abbots Majolus and Odilo.
The legend said that Emperor Otto had conquered this island, while William was born, so the Emperor became his patron and he was educated as a monk and made his clerical career at Cluny Abbey during the reform of Abbot Majolus who continued the reform of his predecessor Odo and supported reforms connected with papal politics under influence of the Ottonic Emperors.
•
His plan failed after the catastrophic defeat of his son Otto II near Reggio, but the role of Cluny as a centre for liturgical reforms had increased in Ottonic times.
Working from the extensive documentary sources surviving from the Burgundian monastery of Cluny, as well as the dioceses of Mâcon and Dijon, Duby excavated the complex social and economic relationships among the individuals and institutions of the Mâconnais region, charting a profound shift in the social structures of medieval society around the year 1000.
It is known that, in 1100, Count Henry invited monks from La Charité-sur-Loire to come to Rates, in order to establish a Benedictine monastery of the Cluniac branch.
Münsterschwarzach became a centre of monastic reform during the 12th century, when Bishop Adalbero of Würzburg, who was in close contact with the reform movements of Cluny, Gorze and Hirsau, appointed Egbert of Gorze as abbot.
The affix "Longville" was added in the 13th century after the Cluniac priory of Longueville, Calvados, in Normandy, France, that held the manor of Newton at that time, and to distinguish this village from other places called Newton, particularly nearby Newton Blossomville.
The land of Romans became in 917 the property of Cluny Abbey, when it was given by Ingelberge, wife of William I, Duke of Aquitaine who founded Cluny Abbey and the daughter of King Boso of Provence.
They are part of a series painted by monks from Lewes Priory; this was the first Cluniac house in England and had close links to its mother priory at Cluny in Burgundy, and the art techniques developed at Cluny from the mid-10th century were very influential.
They stayed in monasteries as many nights as they could, including the priory of Saint Marcel near Chalon-sur-Saône, a daughter house of the Cluny Abbey when he first became ill.