X-Nico

5 unusual facts about Conrad Gugy


Conrad Gugy

In 1980, a street - Rue Conrad Gugy - was named for him in Yamachiche, Quebec.

In 1778, when refugees started arriving from across the border, with the marked approval of the now Governor of Canada, his old friend Sir Frederick Haldimand, Gugy erected dwellings and a school on his seigneuries at Yamachiche, Quebec, to house them.

He was born at The Hague, the eldest son of Hans George Gugi (b.1700), of Zuben Thurgau, a Swiss Captain of the Guards who later joined the Dutch service, and his Dutch wife, Thérèse Reis.

Louis Gugy

From 1792 to 1794, he lived in Switzerland; Gugy then went to Quebec City on inheriting his uncle Conrad Gugy's seigneuries of Grandpré and Dumontier and part of the seigneury of Yamachiche, Quebec.

Yamachiche, Quebec

In 1764, the West Grosbois Seignory was purchased by Conrad Gugy, thereby becoming the first French-Canadian Seignory in English possession.



see also